Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Pocket Diaper Lover Reviews the SweetPea AI3 Diaper!

I had the privilege of reviewing Sweet Pea Diaper’s AI3 (all in three). I’m strictly a pocket diaper user so I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive of trying something new on my daughter, Lady Bug. Initially, I was intimidated by all of the snaps on the diaper. Whoa! I do have to admit that when I started using cloth diapers three years ago with my son, Buggie, the popular fasteners on cloth diapers were hook and loops so this whole snap thing is rather new for me. It really has nothing to do with the diaper’s job – which is great by the way.

An AI3 diaper consists of a waterproof polyurethane layered cover (or as my mom would call them “rubber pants”) and two inserts that snap into the cover. As long as the cover isn’t soiled or sopping wet just wipe it and use it again!

Here are my Loves about this diaper:
  1. Easy to use. Kelly Wells in her book Changing Diapers describes the "all in" diaper as the “daddy and daycare diaper.” I couldn’t agree more. The beauty of this AI3 diaper is the fact that there is no stuffing required, just snapping, which is refreshing to this pocket using mommy!
  2. Aesthetically pleasing. Of course looks aren’t everything but they definitely help! The owl print that was sent to me is so cute and it is gender neutral.
  3. Trim. As a pocket diaper user I frequently have Lady Bug wear clothing a size bigger to accommodate her fluffy bum. I was really impressed by the trimness of Sweet Peas.
  4. Perfect fit around the thighs. As you can see by the picture, the fit around Lady Bug’s thighs was just right. Not too tight and no gapping around the leg.
  5. Absorbent but keeps baby’s bum dry. The bamboo soaker is AMAZINGLY absorbent. It took me more than my normal low heat drying cycles to dry it and it still wasn’t completely dry. There’s a soft micro fleece topped two layer microfiber doubler that did a great job of keeping Lady Bug’s bum dry.
The only thing about Sweet Pea Diaper’s AI3 that could have been better, was how long it took the soaker to dry, however that is also one of the things that I really liked about the diaper. It’s a catch-22. You want your diaper to be able to really absorbent but you’re a mom and you want things to be done quickly. I think that I’d rather have an absorbent soaker that takes a while to dry than a quick drying soaker that wasn’t absorbent.

I think that if I were to redo my stash of fluff I’d buy more Sweet Pea AI3s. I really LOVE the ease of the diaper as well as how it looks under Lady Bug’s clothes. If you’re new to cloth diapering this would be an excellent starter diaper for you and your family.


Elizabeth (aka Bert) Anderson married her college sweetheart in 2005, and started her journey into motherhood in 2008 with the birth of her son.  She started blogging in 2009 as a way to keep track of her thoughts on being a first time mom, especially her struggle with postpartum depression, and as a way of reaching out to other moms who are struggling with the same things.  This June, Bert had another first in her motherhood travels - a little girl!  Even though she's newly a mother of two, Bert maintains that no matter how many children you have you will always be a "first time mom" because there's a first time for everything!  Visit her blog, at FTM. Bert is a contributor for She Thinks Media.

1 comment:

Tim & Kelly said...

Thanks for the review! I like to read reviews done by people who usually use a different type of diaper than the one being reviewed. Good perspective!

 

Sweet Pea Diapers Copyright © 2011 Sweet Pea Diapers Blog is Designed by She Thinks Media