Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cloth Diapering was Dad's idea!

I’d love to tell you that the decision to start cloth diapering was mine. Yes. I’m that wonderful, earth saving, frugal mom who took it upon herself to get hubby on board with the idea. Nope. Incorrect. It was my husband’s idea, not mine.

It all started when friends of ours looked into cloth diapering their first child. She was due three months before I was due with our first. She showed us the website where she was going to buy her cloth diapers and once my hubby saw how much money we could save he was hooked. I was completely frustrated and annoyed because I knew I would have to do all of the work. Why on earth were we doing this? Wasn’t bringing a child into this world enough work for me to do as a stay-at-home-mom than to add on the daunting task of cleaning diapers? And how could we save THAT much money – wouldn’t our water bill go up? He’s the numbers guy and brilliant at it. I don’t question him unless I want to do the work and really, numbers and I don’t get along.

My hubby said that we’d wait a few weeks until our son was older to start cloth diapering. We had read reviews that the kind of pocket diapers we were going to buy were not the best fit for a newborn. I was so relieved. I didn’t have to try to start this “stupid” lifestyle change right away. You know what though? At the end of the eight weeks, after having to make midnight runs to the store to buy yet again another package of diapers, after dropping more money on disposables and having to do more laundry due to explosive blow outs I was ready for a change. My husband was more than ready for it.

It took a month of getting used to it but I fell in love. I mean really, I fell in love. I got sucked in and I’ve never looked back. The benefits that I’ve seen by cloth diapering far outweigh the convenience of disposables. My son has incredibly sensitive skin as well as eczema and switching to cloth was a perfect choice for us with him. And yes, it’s silly but cloth diapers are just so darn cute! There’s a reason why mamas get hooked on them… have you seen some of the diapers out there? ADORABLE. If you haven’t you’re missing out and yes there is one and only one reason why disposable diaper brands are putting cute prints on their diapers. They recognize the current cloth movement.

I always tell my friends that if I can cloth diaper anyone can. Remember, I was completely reluctant to do it but now I can’t imagine having a baby and solely using disposables. The “work” that is often assumed by those who don’t use cloth diapers isn’t that much and it isn’t life altering. And after using cloth diapers for the last three years and with both of my children, I can tell you that my view of the world is a little greener. Give it a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. And speaking of cloth diapers, I have to run downstairs to do the rinse cycle on mine before the morning. Adieu!


Elizabeth (aka Bert) Anderson married her college sweetheart in 2005, and started her journey into motherhood in 2008 with the birth of her son.  She started blogging in 2009 as a way to keep track of her thoughts on being a first time mom, especially her struggle with postpartum depression, and as a way of reaching out to other moms who are struggling with the same things.  This June, Bert had another first in her motherhood travels - a little girl!  Even though she's newly a mother of two, Bert maintains that no matter how many children you have you will always be a "first time mom" because there's a first time for everything!  Visit her blog, at FTM. Bert is a contributor for She Thinks Media.

No comments:

 

Sweet Pea Diapers Copyright © 2011 Sweet Pea Diapers Blog is Designed by She Thinks Media